Ronald D. Paul is the Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer of Eagle Bancorp, Inc. and EagleBank, a community bank established in 1998 in Bethesda, Maryland. He has been involved in community banking for 30 years. Mr. Paul is one of the founding board members of the Bank, and has been instrumental in the growth of the Bank’s size to over $6.4 billion in assets and over 25 offices.
EagleBank is the largest community bank headquartered in the Washington DC Area. Rated A- by Kroll Bond Rating Agency, EagleBank is a member of the Independent Community Bankers of America, the Maryland Bankers Association and the Virginia Bankers Association. EagleBank has consistently been cited for its excellent overall financial performance by recognized bank rating services such as IDC Financial Publishing, Veribanc and BauerFinancial. In 2016, Independent Banker named EagleBank one of the “Best of the Best” community banks in the country. For 2015, EagleBank was one of 18 banks named to the Bank Honor Roll by Keefe, Bruyette and Woods. In 2016, Sandler O’Neill & Partners ranked EagleBank #1 overall among all banks headquartered in Maryland, and named it a 2015 Sm-All Star Bank among all banks nationally.
Eagle Bancorp, Inc. is a public company and its shares are traded on the NASDAQ Capital Market under the symbol EGBN. The Company is in the Russell 2000® Index, which measures the performance of the largest 2000 U.S. companies based on total market capitalization. EagleBank is the presenting sponsor of “EagleBank Presents the Bisnow Morning Brief,” an email subscription service providing daily news stories related to Washington, DC area commercial real estate.
A founding board member of the Prince George’s National Bank in 1987, Mr. Paul continued to serve as director when the bank merged with Montgomery National Bank in 1991 and changed its name to Allegiance Bank. He was a director of Allegiance Bank from 1991 until September 1996, and a director of Allegiance Banc Corporation from 1991 until its acquisition by F&M National Corporation in 1996.
Mr. Paul was born and raised in Oceanside, New York, and came to the Washington, D.C. area to attend the University of Maryland, where he received a B.A. in Accounting. In 1980, he began his career in real estate investment as a bookkeeper, and in 1987, formed his own investment company, Ronald D. Paul Companies, Inc. Mr. Paul’s real estate holdings include office buildings and multi-family apartment projects throughout the Washington Metropolitan area, as well as in Texas, Florida and Iowa. Mr. Paul was a director, as well as Chairman of the Audit Committee, of Republic Properties Trust, a New York Stock Exchange-listed real estate investment trust, until it was sold in 2007. He is active in private investments, which includes serving as Chairman of Bethesda Investments, Inc., a private venture capital fund. As President of RDP Management, Inc., he is also engaged in the business of real estate management.
Very active in several charitable organizations, Mr. Paul serves on the Board of Directors of the Washington Hospital Center Foundation and, since 1987, on the Board of Directors of the National Kidney Foundation of the National Capital Area (“NCA”). Mr. Paul’s involvement with the National Kidney Foundation began in the 1980’s when he was diagnosed with kidney disease; he received a kidney transplant from his brother, Steven B. Paul, at the Washington Hospital Center in 1990. Nineteen years later, he received a second transplant from Kathy McCallum, Chief Financial Officer of Ronald D. Paul Companies. Mr. Paul served as Chairman of the Board of the National Kidney Foundation of the NCA from 2002 – 2003, and he also chaired the National Kidney Foundation’s Annual Kidney Ball—the largest one-day fund-raising event of the Foundation—in 1993 and 2000. In 2002, Mr. Paul founded the National Kidney Foundation’s Annual Ronald D. Paul Companies Kidney Walk, which has grown from approximately 40 to over 900 walkers and has raised over $1,200,000. While attending the University of Maryland, he was active in many community events and became the youngest member ever to serve on the Board of Directors of the American Cancer Society. As Chairman of Eagle Bancorp, in 2005, Mr. Paul founded the EagleBank Foundation, which annually raises funds for breast cancer research, patient services and education. To-date, the Foundation has raised in excess of $2.5 million.
- Member, Federal Reserve Bank, Community Depository Institutions Advisory Council
- Member, Independent Community Bankers of America Large Community Bank Council
- Chairman, George Washington University/Ron and Joy Paul Kidney Center
- Member, Board of Directors, National Kidney Foundation of the National Capital Area
- Founder, National Kidney Foundation Annual Ronald D. Paul Companies Kidney Walk
- Founder, National Kidney Foundation Annual Ronald D. Paul Companies Golf Classic
- Founder and Member, Board of Directors, EagleBank Foundation
- Member, Washington, DC Regional Board, Anti-Defamation League
- Member, Advisory Board, University of Maryland Robert H. Smith School of Business
- Member, 2030 Group
- Member, Executive Committee, Federal City Council, Washington, DC
- Member, Executive Committee, Comptroller of Maryland Business Council
- Member, Montgomery County, Maryland Advisory Board of Court Appointed Special Advocates
- Director, Montgomery County, Maryland Economic Development Corporation, a public-private partnership with the Montgomery County Council
- Member, Montgomery County, Maryland Department of Economic Development
- Member, Board of Trustees, George Mason University Foundation, Inc.
- Past Member, Board of Governors, University of Maryland Alumni Association
- Past Member, Board of Trustees, University of Maryland College Park Foundation
- Past Member, Montgomery County, Maryland Business Development Corporation